Sunday, October 09, 2005

Storm Front - Jim Butcher


I recently discovered a new series that has been out there for awhile, well at least long enough for eight books to come out. I like coming into a long series when most of it is out in paperback already. That means I don’t have to wait a year for the next book to come out. In fact, there are probably several books on my bookcases that have sequals that I have forgotten about.

The Dresden Files is an exciting series. I really like the wit and humor that the main character shows. The first book Storm Front, had me up all night, just simply because I did not want to put it down. Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things -- and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a -- well, whatever.

There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get... interesting.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.

I am reading the second in the series now, Full Moon. I will tell you about it later.

Jenn

1 comment:

Dorothy Cady said...

I too don't like to jump on a new series the minute the first book comes out. I'm quite impatient and hate waiting a year for the next one. Some of the best reading times I've had has been a result of having the whole series, or at least a chunk of it, available one after the other to read as I get through each one.

This series sounds interesting. I like a touch of something unusual in stories, both that I read and that I write. This one sounds like it could we worth looking into. Thanks for the heads up.